Monday 24 October 2011

'As You Like It' Christmas Cake 2011

Ok, so time for Christmas Cake..... I hate traditional Fruit Cake so this year I have decided to invent my own 'As You Like It,' alternative Christmas cake.

The preparations began this morning after my Tesco delivery. I am not a fan of raisins, hate currants and sultanas and citrus zest, well........ So I spent a while thinking about what dried fruits I actually liked, what could be eliminated from a traditional recipe and suitable replacement ingredients.

The dried fruit I opted for was as follows; dates, figs, apricots and chewy bananas. I added half a jar of stem ginger and then used ginger wine as my soaking alcohol. I also added pecans for a bit of texture and maple syrup as a liquid replacement for the orange juice which I am going to eliminate when baking (we'll see!).

So far, it smells fabulous - but I am a ginger fan - and looks like something I may well like to eat!
Here's a photo at this stage, I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment